05 May 2009

ANGER CAUSES STRESS


By recognizing that we are responsible for our own anger and the stress resulting due to it, we can decide to let it go. This can be done when we are inwardly calm, says Brahma Kumaris

One of the key causes of stress is anger which gets built up inside us in our day-today interactions with certain individuals and from real life situations. The inculcation of the innate virtues of the soul — compassion, forgiveness and tolerance — not only in our words and actions but also at the level of our thoughts, helps us relax.

Breathing exercise for stress management

Sit comfortably upright in your chair. Make sure you are in a position to breathe easily
Allow your breathing to slow down… gently out… and in… with your own natural rhythm
Think of a situation when you were angry with another person and follow these words. Pause for 1 complete breath after each step
As I breathe out I release my anger… as I breathe in I fill myself with compassion…
As I breathe out I let go of resentment… as I breathe in I fill myself with tolerance…
As I breathe out I release feelings of revenge… as I breathe in I gain understanding…
As I breathe out I let go of all worries… as I breathe in I experience peace…
See the other person and send good wishes and feelings of compassion to him/her… to the situation… to all involved (pause for 10 seconds)
Breathe easily. Be calm… at peace… Experience the qualities of forgiveness and tolerance

Benefits

The key to dealing with anger is that we acknowledge that it is our anger and not caused by someone else. When we are angry we blame something or someone. Yet we are the ones experiencing anger; we have the choice to change how we feel and respond. By recognizing that we are responsible for our own anger and the stress resulting due to it, we can decide to let it go. This can be done when we are inwardly calm and reflect on the anger. The above breathing practice helps us in this process.



http://www.bkwsu.org/

1 comment:

melissa officinalis said...

Yes will do that when i am angry. Specialliy during the anger period, to avoid the escalading of anger. But that needs a lot of self control.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed